Friday 29 April 2011

Ubuntu Natty - First Impressions

I managed to remember to try out the new Ubuntu 11.04 on the day of it's release, so I grabbed an iso and booted a flash drive up on my bog standard Acer lappy (Intel T4200, 4GB RAM, nothing special).

The thing that hit me hardest has got to be the new 'Unity' interface. It's pretty, waay prettier than anything else - the smooth sliding of the 'dock' on the left, the practically edible buttons thereon.
I know it doesn't sound like much, but that's the point. Unity is pretty damned lean.
Touchscreen-friendly; The buttons are big, and the 'left-click' context-menus are kept to a minimum. It almost makes me want to fit a touchscreen in my laptop(I WILL do it).


It's not too slow, either. I'll play around with it some more, but it seems more than adequately zippy on this no-frills machine. I'd be interested to see how unity would perform on my HTC Magic.
But there's little point to that until I can get Xorg accessing the framebuffer (the FB driver in the android kernel needs a fixup to work with Xorg (Or Xorg needs a hack (Oh, 1 sec...just found this:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/MSMQSD#MSM_XOrg_driver))).


And that's the end-a'-that chapter...

No comments:

Post a Comment